Saturday, March 06, 2010

30 Days -- Paying for Medication

I recently watched the movie SuperSize me. In it,Morgan Spurlock, decides to eat nothing but McDonalds for 30 days. It was a great concept and a very entertaining film. Spurlock went later on to a TV series called 30 Days were one is faced with a change of some kinds for 30 days (living on minimum wage for 30 days, or an evangelical Christan living in San Fransisco with a gay roommate. The show is worth checking out.

Well, I'm going to start to work on my own 30 day challenge. How can I afford the perscription medication that I need for the next 30 days? I just returned from my psychiatrist today with a 4 fresh scripts for drug cocktail we are using to treat my bipolar disorder. And I am one of the 30 million Americans who are uninsured.

So I started today at a local Walgreens in Independence and just got the cash price. Here is where we start:


Perscription
Cash Price

Stavzor 250 mg -- 90 Tablets
357.89

Seroquel XR 200 mg -- 30
268.52

Wellbutrin XL 150 MG -- 30
(Generic subsisuted)
139.99

Ativan .5 mg -- 30
14.49




Total:
$780.89

Now, I don't have an extra $780.89. I do have some resources and ideas about how to make this affordable and I plan on blogging about this process.

So, first a couple of early methods to bring the cost down. I have a Walgreens Prescription Card and a Together Rx Access Card, though the associate said the card would only save me $2. I also have a card from Stavzor to take off $50. So with those savings, that brings me down to: $728.89.

The mental health safety net in our country has been hit hard in the past couple of years, especially here in Missouri. I hope that my experience in the area can be helpful to others especially as our lawmakers continue to try to pass some type of comprehensive health care reform.

I should also point out that I currently do have adequate meds and am not in crisis, so I have the mental and emotional resources to deal with the challenge. Your thoughts and comments are welcome!

5 comments:

Help I need a user name! said...

Hey, Todd-have you tried WalMart pharmacy? Here in Arizona, we also have a supermarket called Fry's, which offers prescriptions for low prices(like $3 and $4 each). Fry's grocery is part of the Kroger chain, and I know we had Kroger in Michigan. Maybe they have some better prices.

Todd said...

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have gone to Wal-mart in the past, but will do so again and check out the prices at a variety of different places.

Anonymous said...

Todd have you applied for Medicaid or Medicare? You also might want to consider switching to Swope Health Center. They have their own pharmacy with POS type funding to assist in lowering the cost for those with out insurance.

Anonymous said...

Interesting ... and what about getting insurance? Keep in mind that I am not familiar with the ins and outs and possibilities and impossibilities of such a suggestion, but I'm curious.

Todd said...

I am looking into the Medicaid option right now. It is only for a very small pool of people in Missouri. But I will be talking about that part of the journey too.

I have heard the reputation for Swope Health System is excellent, however I am not in their geographic area for Community Mental Health Centers. I hope to blog about those things coming up too.

While I had at least 10 years of solid health insurance coverage, I know have gaps and I think it would be considered a pre-exciting condition. It is an area that I need to do research on.