Monday, March 22, 2010

30 Day Drug Journey, Day 17: $12 is $12 Bucks

So, I am currently off the Stavzor and have moved over to the Divalproex. As I have mentioned before, the drugs are very similar and I feel better than I have felt in a long time. A friend of mine commented on how productive and stable I currently seem. The best mood stabilizers allows one to more smoothly navigate the highs and lows that one with manic-depression (or bipolar) experience.

So, I found an extra 3 pills of the Stavzor, with a retail value of about $12. It would be 1 days dose of pills. I shouldn't switch back and forth between meds. I probably will never be on the Stavzor again unless I have great insurance, but I'm having a hard time throwing out the leftover pills. I kind of feel like someone who has lived through the great depression and is very reluctant to throw out anything, because they have lived through lean years. Maybe I have lived through a great depression: a great manic depression. Today that feels very much in the past.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about getting a job so that you can pay for the medication instead of playing the system?

How about being human instead of a cyst on humanity. Get a job, get a lie and move on.

Todd said...

Wow anonymous, I have to say that from my viewpoint "being human" includes some basic decency to others that I find compleatly lacking in your post.

I'm not "playing" any system, but using resources that are out there. I haven't talked about how much or little I am working, it has varried over the past year. Indeed the program are really designed for low to moderate income individuals who are working.

I had great insurance for 11 years and did a lot of great work I'm proud of. I've had some struggles when the access to meds has been more difficult, I think there is a clear linkage.

You surely aren't suggesting that I go find a job that pays enough to allow an extra $700 for cash prices of medicine?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: that was unnecessary rudeness. I work full time and have no insurance, and get free mental health treatment through Truman Hospital. Am I a "cyst on humanity" also?

leon d berg

Anonymous said...

LOL go anonymous!

Anonymous said...

I just thinnk that if someone is makking a contribution to society in the form of a job, carreer, etc. then using theb benefits out there is ok. However if youu are not trying to make things better and using all the benefits then that is not fair to the rest of the people who are making a contribution.

I have worked with individuals that "sound" just like you Todd and if you are anything like them I know how you are. YOu use the system as I said before.

I am a moderate income person and I do not have insurnace either and are on very expensive medications for an intestinal problem. I use the drug company loyalty cards, but I guess I feel that those should be for people that try.

Oh well...whatever I say isn't going to change anyone anyway..just something to think about Todd.

I just think people that "play" the system shoudl use their talents for good not bad.

Todd said...

Anon -- thanks for sharing. I'm glad you have found the meds that you need. It seems we are both using programs created my drug companies. I have no idea how these companies could judge who is worthy or not, according to your standards.

I do currently quality for these meds. I hope that I will not in the future and am actively working on a variety of ways for that to happen. Yet I am sure without the medication to treat the bipolar, I wouldn't have a chance.