Wednesday, March 05, 2008

For President: A Mormon and a Muslim?

I was in a coffee shop in Northern Michigan early in the week and overheard someone say, "Who would have thought for a president: a Muslim and a Mormon."

Perhaps as a Reorganized Mormon that made me uncomfortable, though there is no doubt that Romney was LDS. The Muslim? Well, most smart, clever readers of the blogs, know that Obama isn't a Muslim. But there are forces in both political parties that are happy to keep drawing lines between people. And they will play on any fear to get votes. I hate that part of our political culture.

Paranoid conspiracy theorist will never cease to amaze me. What is fascinating to me is that there are those that believe that both John McCain and Barrack Obama could be "Manchurian Candidates" (sleeper agents for some foreign power).

I, for one, believe we are lucky to have the strongest field of presidential candidates in my lifetime. (Perhaps with 1976 being an exception, but I was only 7 when Carter faced Ford).

No comments: