Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day Drug Journey, Day 15: Shop Hy-Vee


Today, I was going to go to my psychiatrist and see if he would substitute the Stavzor for Valporic Acid (apparently they are very similar). The script that he had written though was for Divalproex, the generic version of Depakote. At Walgreens, they could not use the Valporic Acid as an approved substitution without a new script and my doctor wanted to talk with me before that happened. (Are people still with me?)

To continue to comparison shop I took the Divalproex script to CVS and they quoted me the price of something like $250 for a 30 day supply, the same as Walgreens. Yeah, that wasn't going to work. And then I went over to Hy-Vee and they said the cash price for the Divalproex for someone without insurance is $42.31. Yes that is right over $200 difference.

I considered shopping around some more, but there is snow on the roads today and I need to finish my taxes and lots of other things. While I hope these blog entries are helpful to people, I have to live my life and I can't do everything I might like to do if I was an investigative reporter on this topic. And honestly once you see that you are saving over $200, don't you think you are pretty far ahead?

No comments: