Saturday, March 20, 2010

30 Day Drug Journey, Day 15: Gotta Love the Drug Companies

And no, I'm not being ironic about loving the drug companies. Because most of the major drug manufactures have assistance programs for low to moderate income individuals who have no insurance. I have already been enrolled into the the AZ&Me™ Prescription Savings Program. They are the ones that make Seroquel, which is a great drug. According to their page, "If you are an individual making $30,000 or less or a family of four making $60,000 or less you may qualify."

Why do drug companies do this? One could guess:
  • Genuine Concern for those that can't afford their medicine.
  • To receive a needed PR boost in the public's mind.
  • By providing free or low cost drugs to the neediest in our country, they soften the push for real health care reform.
Honestly, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, since I am benefiting from their program. So, since I was already enrolled in their program, I had to mail my new script to their processing center in St. Louis. According to their phone system, they have the script and should have it processed in 7 - 10 days. I knew I qualified for this program when I started this blogging, but until I have the drugs here, I'll still be a little worried.

I have to fill out another form to receive assistance with the Wellbutrin and that requires the most recent tax return, so that hopefully will be finished today or tomorrow. Plus, where Stavzor didn't have a corporate program, the makers of Depakote (Divalproex) do, so I'll explore that option too.

No comments: