Monday, September 29, 2008

Letter to Editor: The Cadilac Paper

I am both a parent and a minister. I do not believe that stigma and shame are appropriate methods in helping my son, Carter (age 3) learn about his sexuality.
Stigma and shame are indeed powerful forces, but they turn up in unexpected ways and are not what we hope healthy adults or children need to deal with.

I also find it ironic that the letter which inspired me to respond was written by a fellow Christian. For our Savior Jesus Christ was born to a teenage mother, who to the outside world had a very strange story about her own pregnancy.

I believe the gospel record that Mary and Joseph were good parents to Jesus and I thank God that Jesus was not “ripped from [Mary’s] arms and spirited away into private adoption . . . never [to] see the child again.”

Rev. Todd Elkins
Evart

No comments: