Thursday, February 21, 2008

A One Way Ticket to . . . Evart?

A dear friend of mine says that home is where they have to take you in. After a 20 year absence, I'm preparing to move to Evart, Michigan the town I grew up in and graduated high school in 1987.

There are many transitions going in my life, divorce, career loss, but I'm excited about returning the town that formed me. See, I'm a small town guy. Probably always will be.

My father is the city manager of my old/new hometown. He has a business card with a copy of a train ticket on the back. It says first-class ticket from Evart to ______________.

Yeah, that is the problem with small towns. They often are first class tickets to the next place. I've lived in the Kansas City metro for the past decade. Denver before that. My foundation provided by Evart and Graceland College (in the small town of Lamoni, Iowa) has served me well.

What is next for this Mr. Elkins? Who knows, but 2008 will be the year that I returned to myStuckeyville. Could I become the bowling alley minister? (Obscure reference to the greatest TV Show ever, explained upon request).

No comments: