Thursday, May 17, 2007

Off Pitch on Wal-Mart

I love The Pitch. It is a great source of alternative news. It can conveys both light and heat. A powerful combination.

I love the iconoclast. I love the iconoclast in perhaps a way that only a faithful, true believer/radical can. Yet a recent article in The Pitch shed light on the paper's true colors.

The article was, "One Wal-Mart Ain't Enough: Raytowners prepare to spend a lot of money furthering their reputation as ... Raytowners." Now John Combest might point out that the ellipses aren't correct, yet I struggled too much with grammar in school to make such an observation! ;-)

But the real kicker is the opening line, "How's this for kooky: A city trying to shed its redneck image lays down big money on Wal-Mart."

Where do I start?

Redneck? Redneck? Or do you mean bluecollar? Or working class? There is a difference. A big difference.

I am damn tired of liberal elitist talking about how ignorant everyone else is and yet not walking the talk in their own lives. It is the easiest thing in the world to tear down someone else. We have all met bullies in our day.

The sign of a real man (and no I'm not going to be gender neutral here, because this is far more a problem for men than for women . . . in my experience) is to be able to break the cycle of bullying and be a real grown-up. An adult.

Have you been to the new Wal-mart in Kansas City? It is amazing. The floor has a soft feel to it because they used recycled rubber in the construction (for more raving see Yael Abouhalkah). Plus, if you are a night owl (as I am) it is the only place to shop at 2 am (or when you are coming off your 2nd shift).

Wal-mart isn't my favorite place to shop. It probably isn't even in my top 10, but I am not above shopping there. And for midnight shopping (which also has the advantage of missing the horrible crowds) it is the best superstore in town.

I don't mind The Pitch's slant to the left, I enjoy that. Shallow and cheap, I can't stand that.

No comments: